Zune 2.0 and the Flash Zune, AKA little Zune, were leaked. Here are the details.
- Zune 2.0 and the Flash Zune will be out this year
- Zune 2.0 is like Gen 1 but thinner
- Larger HDD, same doubleshot finish
- Flash Zune is 3 by 1 1/4 by 1/4
- Flash Zune is video capable
- Flash Zune’s Screen covers 75% of the front
- Flash Zune will have WiFi
- Flash Zune will have doubleshot
- Design phase is over, but some tweaks to hardware will occur
- 2.4 million next gen Zunes will be made before 2007’s holiday season, and that 2/3 of em are the Flash Zune players.
Amazing espionage and good fortune by Zune Scene agents. Unconfirmed, of course.
Interesting, although this isn’t exactly shocking information when you really think about it. Thinner? Duh. Bigger HDD? Duh. Smaller model with a flash HDD? Duh. Anyways, here is my thoughts on what they did right with Zune v1 and what they should do with Zune v2.
Lets see what the Zune did right with v1:
- Killer UI, yup
- Killer screen, yup
- Killer video quality, yup
- Basic Wifi support, yup (I said basic…)
- Relatively attractive design
Things they should improve on in v2:
- Fix the damned Wifi, make it not suck
- Enable Wifi purchasing of music
- Enable Wifi syncing
- Enable divx/xvid support to attract customers
- Make the device thinner, and lighter
- Increase the HDD size of the high-end model (60, 80, 100GB range)
- Release a compact model with a smaller flash HDD (4, 6, 8GB range)
- Make it very easy to transfer to/from the Xbox 360 music, photos, videos
- Similar to above, stream off Media Center and Xbox 360 to Zune.
- Enable the damned mass storage device setting out of the box.
- Remove all DRM from the Zune store (They are already working on this one)
That’s all I can think of off the top of my head.